Lead Elementary Teacher K-3
Montessori Elementary at Highland Park (ME@HP) is seeking an experienced Lead Elementary Teacher K-3 who is passionate about the Montessori method and believes in the mission of ME@HP to join our team for the 2022-2023 school year.
Montessori Elementary at Highland Park (ME@HP) has a goal to cultivate ambitious, fearless learners through intellectually stimulating, interactive experiences that awaken curiosity, nurture advanced thinking, and promote independence. This individual will guide his/her students & activities in a prepared Montessori environment that will challenge each child to develop all skill sets --Cognitive, Emotional, Social and Physical. This will be done for the age group in which the teacher has completed a satisfactory Montessori training program.
Located on the site of the former Highland Park Grammar School, Montessori Elementary at
Highland Park will be an anchor institution in one of Chattanooga's most vibrant and diverse
urban neighborhoods. Foundedin1889, Highland Park is an historic district that is experiencing
explosive growth and redevelopment. Opened August 2021, Montessori Elementary at
Highland Park is a co-educational, public charter school offering educational programs for
children PreK3 through 5th grade. The school serves families from all backgrounds and provides
a dynamic, participatory environment that integrates Montessori childhood education with
STEM experiential learning.
This is an on-site, full-time, teaching position at ME@HP 700 S. Hawthorne St. in Chattanooga,
Tennessee. Primary role is implementing K-3 Montessori education methods to the school’s
student community, in accordance with this position’s job duties, school mission and
educational goals. Some travel is required.
Salary and Benefits:
Compensation is competitive, commensurate with credentials and experience, and includes
comprehensive benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and TCRS). Teachers receive
funds for supplies and materials, as well as a laptop computer.
Only certified applicants and those meeting the job posting qualifications and requirements
described below will be interviewed. We will accept applications any time, but please send
resume with cover letter via email by July 15, 2022 for first consideration for the 2022-2023
• Manage and coordinate overall classroom activities and schedules as relate to students,
parents, and teachers, assuring all parties are informed of any changes
• Introduce children to appropriate Montessori materials to include individual and group
• Convey information concerning the special needs of some children; propose possible
strategies that will support positive behavior and minimize negative behavior
• Use appropriate positive guidance and discipline techniques with the children
• Monitor group activities to maximize healthy socialization, fostering of community and
• Maintain attendance, progress, behavior, safety and evaluations records for all students
• Be responsible for the safety and well-being of students at all times
• Observe, record, and report significant group and individual behavior
• Establish and maintain good communications with parents through informal contacts,
weekly notes, telephone contacts, email, etc.
• Schedule and lead formal and informal parent-teacher conferences, involving other
teachers and assistants as appropriate
• Collaborate with other lead teachers and administration to develop curriculum and
coordinate common activities
• Actively participate in faculty & staff meetings
• Supervise assistant teachers & daily responsibilities, professional development and
interactions with parents and students
• Prepare for school's community activities such as open houses, observation and general
meetings or special events
• Demonstrate sufficient security and judgment to handle a crisis and to use supervision
• Along with Director, assure the school is in compliance with licensing, health and safety
• Evaluate prospective students, as needed
• Adhere to school policies
• Perform other duties, as directed by administration 2 .
• Tennessee teaching certification or the ability to obtain Tennessee teaching certification
is required prior to the start of the 2021 - 2022 academic school year
• Appropriate Montessori certification from a MACTE approved training center required
prior to the start of the 2021-2022 academic school year.
ME@HP will cover expenses related to obtaining MACTE certification for final applicants, if
• Have the physical capacity to work with preschool/kindergarten aged children (includes
but is not limited to: bending, minor lifting, working on the floor)
• Prior Montessori teaching experience preferred
• Supervision experience preferred
• Bachelor's degree
• CPR and First Aid certified
• Must be willing to undergo criminal background check.
ME@HP is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Incompliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the
Board of Education will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and
encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the
employer. ME@HP provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for
employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color,
religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation,
gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement,
promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.