CDL Program Instructor
Conducts classroom and technical training classes for commercial vehicles, providing theory, simulation and practical applications for classes in Class A, and Class B Commercial Motor Vehicles. Uses established training materials to present formal class training exercises and lab work to students. Provides training in policy, procedures in compliance with all local, state and federal rules, regulations and laws. Uses established training materials to present training exercises and practice in preparing students to safely operate a commercial motor vehicle. Provides hands-on training in advanced applications, training and testing preparations in Vehicle Inspection, Skills/ Maneuvers, Range and Road Driving Skills required to meet and or exceed requirements needed to successfully pass the Maryland Commercial Driver’s Test. Assists program coordinator in basic maintenance of equipment and training yard, also classroom instruction. This position will be primarily based in Dorchester County, MD, but will work in both the Dorchester locations and the Wye Mills campus.
Examples of Duties
• Teach CDL permit training in the classroom.
• Teach all necessary CDL yard skills including: straight line backing, driver-side parallel parking, passenger-side parallel parking, alley docking and pre-trip inspections.
• Teach road skills to students driving combination tractor-trailers on common use roads. These skills will include but not limited to: up-shifting and down- shifting, right and left turns, highway and city driving, driver safety and defensive driving skills.
• Accompany students to MVA for CDL testing.
• Perform any minor maintenance to equipment or yard area.
• Assist program coordinator in all phases of driving program.
• Assist with enrollment and scheduling processes
• Assist with college and FMCSA reporting to ensure timely submission of all reports and documents.
High School Diploma and five (5) to seven (7) years CDL experience driving tractor-trailers. Current CDL license must have endorsements (minimum) including air, passenger, and school bus. Ability to teach and communicate effectively, both verbally and written as well as basic computer skills. Good student/customer relation skills. Ability to sit, stand and walk in all weather conditions as needed for the job. Good driving record. Will be subject to all DOT regulations, including the ability to maintain a valid DOT physical examination card and be subject to random DOT drug and alcohol testing. Spanish language skills a plus
• Must be able to lift and move up to a maximum of 50 pounds.
• Ability to perform moderately heavy physical labor.
• The worker will be subject to dust, noise, fumes, and odors.
• The workers will be exposed to inside and outside environmental conditions
The physical activity of this position includes, but is not limited to: climbing, walking, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching standing, pulling, lifting, grasping, twisting, sitting and feeling.