Special Education Associate
Come Here. Become THE BEST YOU Here. At DMPS, we are committed to helping you find the job that's right for you. The district has the more employment opportunities than any school or district in the state.
Des Moines Public Schools is seeking Special Education Associates.
To apply for one of these positions, cut and paste this link into your browser: https://www.applitrack.com/desmoinesindependent/onlineapp/default.aspx?Category=Associates&subcategory=Special+Education+Associate
Job description: Assist teachers in the instruction, supervision and care of students with disabilities in a variety of instructional settings, including special education, general education and work/community settings. This position requires continuous use of independent judgment. The essential functions as shown below represent only the key areas of responsibility; specific position requirements will vary depending on the needs of the building assigned.
1. Take directions from teachers, building administrators and Student and Family Services support staff.
2. Follow behavior management plans for individual students.
3. Maintain students’ daily behavior logs.
4. Assist in the implementation and monitoring of students’ Individual Education Plans.
5. Prepare and organize instructional materials and equipment.
6. Perform personal care duties for students with disabilities as needed.
7. Prepare and supervise students in bus loading/unloading.
8. Assist in maintaining a safe and orderly instructional environment.
9. Assist in implementing consistent behavior management strategies and procedures.
10. Supervise lunchroom, playground, halls, classroom and other assigned areas.
11. Clarify and reinforce teacher directions
12. Participate in I.E.P. meetings as required.
13. Assist with instruction in the community setting as required.
14. Assist students with assignments.
15. Reinforce skills taught by the teacher.
16. Listen to students read/read to students.
17. Chart/graph student performance.
18. Prepare bulletin boards, games, and flash cards.
19. Assist teacher in setting up, organizing, and preparing materials for labs or instruction.
20. Organize daily student work folders.
21. Prepare attendance cards and reports.
22. Feed, toilet and diaper students as needed.
23. Under teacher direction, implement specific strategies to maintain/increase appropriate behavior and de-escalate inappropriate behavior.
24. Supervise students in community/work settings.
25. Lift, carry and correctly position students with physical disabilities.
26. Perform other activities as required by building Principal or teachers.
27. Attend work on a prompt and regular basis.
28. Maintain confidentiality.
29. Maintain satisfactory and harmonious working relationships with the public, students, and other employees.
30. Assist classroom teacher with educational activities.
1. High School Diploma, HiSET or G.E.D.
2. Ability to relate to students with disabilities
3. Ability to carry out duties cooperatively with others.
4. Oral and written communication skills.
5. Visual and auditory acuity for supervisory functions.
6. Skills in leadership, decision making and problem solving.
7. One of the following: (1) 48 credit hours post-secondary education, or (2) associate degree or higher, or (3) paraeducator certification from Board of Educational Examiners, or (4) combined score of 150 or higher on the COMPASS test, or (5) a passing score on the AcuPlacer test.
8. Competency working in a culturally diverse environment or the willingness to acquire these skills.
1. Successful work or volunteer experience with disabled population.
2. Supervisory experience with school age children.
Salary and Benefits:
- This is a full-time position, 7.5 hour a day, 190 days a year.
- Base pay starts at $15.86/hr. Employees will be compensated based on experience, skills, and education.
- Des Moines Public Schools offers a generous benefits package including:
- Family Health Insurance at no cost to the employee during the first plan year of employment (July1 - June 30) ($600/year after that - which can be waived via participation in the district's wellness program)
- Family Dental Insurance with a minimal monthly cost (Single dental insurance coverage at no cost)
- Enrollment in IPERS (Iowa Public Employee Retirement System) --a defined benefit plan