Dakota Wesleyan University in Mitchell, South Dakota invites applications for a full-time faculty position in Nursing at the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor. The individual’s primary responsibilities include teaching nursing courses, participating in clinical teaching, and advising nursing students on the university’s campus in Sioux Falls. The individual may also teach courses to students in the university’s Mitchell nursing track. Position to start August 2022. Rank and salary will be commensurate with the candidate’s qualifications and experience.
Benefits include health, vision, dental and life insurance, access to campus wellness program and facilities, vacation, sick and holiday pay, tuition reimbursement and retirement.
The successful candidate will:
- Hold at minimal a master’s degree in nursing
- Be currently licensed to practice as registered nurse in South Dakota (or be eligible for such licensure).
- Possess a med/ surg or generalist background. A strong pharmacology background is also desirable.
- Be comfortable with, or willing to learn, the use of digital technologies to enhance student learning and engagement.
- Be firmly committed to high quality teaching and to active, experiential, and applied learning and research.
- Be committed to mentoring students, including serving as an academic advisor.
Essential, ongoing responsibilities associated with the position include:
- Successful teaching and facilitation of student learning.
- Overseeing student clinicals in an off campus medical setting on a regular basis.
- Successfully mentoring and advising students.
- Working collaboratively with colleagues, within the department, the college, and across the university.
- Providing service to the department, college, discipline, university, and community.
- Engaging in ongoing professional development and remaining current in one’s discipline and areas of specialization.
- Willingness and flexibility to teach in other nursing tracks when the need arises.
- Engaging in curriculum development.
- Engaging in ongoing assessment activities.
- Community outreach and the development of relationships with members of the local and regional communities (as appropriate).
- Acting in a professional and collegial manner (this includes: maintaining a regular and ongoing presence on campus, maintaining confidentiality as required, holding regular office hours, participating in recruitment and retention efforts, participating in various academic ceremonies, and being accessible to students and colleagues).
- Participating in ongoing evaluations.
- Assuming other duties and responsibilities as assigned and/or negotiated.
All candidates are encouraged to provide evidence of successful college-level teaching, including strong professor-student relationships, commitment to student development, and creative pedagogical practice. All applications must include a letter of interest, curriculum vitae (or resume), and the names and contact information (including phone numbers and email addresses) of three professional references. Original transcripts and background check will be required before the university makes an appointment.
Review of applicants will begin immediately and continue until position is filled.
Dakota Wesleyan University (DWU) is a private, comprehensive university affiliated with the United Methodist Church granting both bachelors and master’s degrees. The University’s mission is to provide a transformative learning experience that cultivates enduring intellectual growth, ethically grounded leadership, intentional faith exploration, and meaningful service. The University serves approximately 1,000 students from across the nation and around the world, including a significant number of first-generation students from the Great Plains region. Under the leadership of President Dan Kittle, Dakota Wesleyan’s profile is on the rise both regionally and nationally. U.S. News and World Report recently ranked Dakota Wesleyan as best value school in the Midwest and as one of the best regional colleges in the Midwest. In the past decade, university donors have made possible a new health science center; a black box theater and alumni welcome center; a 90,000 sq ft sport and wellness complex; a new residence hall; and—opening in the fall of 2021—the new School of Business, Innovation and Leadership. In 2018, Dakota Wesleyan introduced its Digital DWU initiative. This initiative focuses on creating learning opportunities for students that will prepare them to succeed in the digital world they will enter upon graduation. The initiative provides all students with iPads and supports faculty in utilizing technology to create a more engaging and inclusive educational experience for all students.
DWU is located in Mitchell, South Dakota, a town of 14,000, nestled in the heart of one of the country’s finest outdoor recreation areas. Mitchell is the sixth largest city in South Dakota and home to the world’s only Corn Palace. The University is within an hour’s drive of Sioux Falls, one of the Upper Midwest’s largest statistical metropolitan areas. It is within a six-hour drive of several major metropolitan areas (Omaha, NB; Minneapolis, MN; Kansas City, MO).
Dakota Wesleyan reserves the right to modify all job postings and job descriptions.
Dakota Wesleyan is an Equal Opportunity Employer welcoming and encouraging applications from members of underrepresented groups. DWU is a tobacco free campus.