Emporia State University is seeking highly qualified candidates for the position of Academic Advisor with the Student Advising Center. The Academic Advisor reports to the Director of the Student Advising Center. They work intensively one-on-one with students to promote academic success through a caseload model. This person will also provide programming and initiatives to support student success. Individually and as part of a team, this position will promote academic success to further student development and improve retention at ESU.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Use a proactive, developmental philosophy and holistic approach to build relationships, advise and enroll advisees
- Guide and advise students towards graduation; teaching students about degree requirements, course selection, and academic policies
- Maintain student records and monitor student progress
- Participate in planning, preparation, and execution of retention initiatives
- Attend and engage with students and families at multiple recruiting events
- Actively use advising technology and resources, such as Banner, DegreeWorks, Student Success CRM, Signalvine.
- Proactively reach out and work with students who are at-risk of not being successful (ex. Identified Criteria, Early Alert, Care Team, Red Flag Alerts, etc.)
- Collaborate with the Student Advising Center team to create new student programming with the goal of retaining students. This may include continuing to grow current programming, creating new initiatives, and assisting with the First-Year Seminar courses.
- Assist with and participate in all orientation, advising, and registration periods including Black & Gold Days and Hornet Connections.
- Work to build relationships with faculty and professional advisors across campus to ensure an easy transition for our advisees.
- Assist departments with recruiting initiatives, including daily 2:00 PM Admissions Prospective Student appointments, and outreach to students in the recruitment funnel.
- Participate in events such as Welcome Week, E-Experience, Mini Majors Camp, etc.
Campus Involvement and Community Engagement
Requires a bachelor's degree in Education, Counseling, or a related field, as well as at least one year of progressively responsible experience in advising or a related function within higher education. A master's degree in one of these fields is preferred.
A pre-employment background check is required.
Emporia State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, national origin, ethnicity, religion, gender, sex, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other factors which cannot be considered by law.