Academic Advisor - College Now
Gaston College is seeking to fill the following position:
Academic Advisor - College Now
Provide academic advising, career guidance and academic support services to students under the direction of the Dean of College Now by collecting, organizing, and analyzing information about individuals through records, tests, and interviews. Participate in College programs, activities, and committees, which are designed to promote academic success. Make referrals to campus or high school resources as needed. Provide clerical support and assistance with special projects.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serve as an advocate for dual enrollment students and guide them in navigating the college experience. Provide admissions, advising, registration assistance, program, and assessment information to high school students interested in the College and its programs through case management using a variety of formats and platforms.
- Prepare presentations and marketing materials, in addition to delivering information sessions and orientations, for secondary and postsecondary educators, parents, students, internal stakeholders, and the community at large.
- Assist students in the development of an educational plan and clarifying educational goals.
- Provide academic and student success support to students whose issues are impeding their academic success and make referrals when appropriate utilizing the student retention software.
- Provide intervention, resources, and strategies for students in need of academic support through regular communication with dual enrollment students, College faculty, and high school personnel on students’ academic progress throughout the semester. Additionally, collaborate with faculty and other staff on campus by responding to both automatic and manual alerts initiated through the early alert program within the student retention software as part of success coach responsibilities.
- Behave in a professional manner that promotes collaboration, collegiality, and outstanding customer service for both internal and external clients.
- Assist in the planning and facilitating of recruiting activities for the College to include but not limited to information sessions, campus tours, and off-site recruiting booths/presentations.
- Participate in College programs, activities, and committees that are designed to promote academic success.
- Provide information to prospective students as applicable and serve as liaison between students, faculty, and external institutions.
- Maintain awareness of and interpret N.C. statutes, Department of Public Instruction policies, North Carolina Community College System policies, and Gaston College policies as they relate to the dual enrollment program.
- Serve as liaison between students, faculty, and K-12 institutions, including maintaining information on enrollments, grades, withdrawals, and completion of pathway(s) by high school and local educational agencies.
- Provide career information to students on future job trends, type of training and education required for a specific job, where to obtain specific training and education, salary information, employment outlook, and working conditions.
- Provide information and answers to student questions about the transfer process to other two- or four-year institutions.
- Document communications with students utilizing the student retention software.
- Represent the College in the community and serve on assigned or elected campus committees and organizations. Additionally, assist with special projects as needed, which may include special events for program faculty, students, and high school partners.
- Perform all other tasks required to maintain compliance with external agencies including maintain accurate records for enrollment, tracking, and audit reporting purposes.
- Provide clerical support as needed and assist with document imaging.
- Participate in professional development activities to keep current in the field.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the Dean of College Now and/or the Vice President for Educational Partnerships.
MINIMUM EDUCATION QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution required.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE QUALIFICATIONS
- Three years’ work experience in human services required with priority given to those with experience in an educational setting. (Human services is defined as any area where service is provided to people: counseling, advising, education, customer service, instruction, social work, etc.)
- Proficiency in Microsoft computer applications required.
- Work experience high school populations preferred.
- Work experience in student services preferred.