Special Education Teacher Grades PK-3
DESCRIPTION: Highland School District #203 has an opening for a special education teacher to provide and coordinate services for eligible students in grades K-3 in a collaborative team approach within the department and Marcus Whitman Cowiche Elementary. This position begins the 2022-2023 school year. ____________________________________________________________________________
- Development, coordination and implementation of program(s) for students with disabilities to meet goals and objectives in ELA, Math, Behavior, Social/Emotional, and Adaptive skills as outlined in each student’s Individualized Education Plan in collaboration with general education for inclusion, including co-planning and co-teaching services.
- Manage and supervise the activities of para-professionals.
- Assess students with appropriate district-approved assessment tools to help determine eligibility and program planning needs.
- Leads or assists in identifying and complying with teaching and learning and student accommodation requirements under Individual Education Plans (IEP).
- Write and implement compliant individual education plans (IEPs) and monitor student progress. Integrate district-approved and/or required technology into planning, learning progress reporting, and required record-keeping activities.
- Development and implementation of behavior management plans for specific students.
- Collaborate with and support the school building’s Multi-Tiered System of Support (MTSS), Positive Intervention System (PBIS), and the District Special Education Team. Ability to work collaboratively with others to address the needs of students and develop effective teaching and learning practices.
QUALIFICATIONS: Applicants for the position must:
- Hold a valid Washington State teaching certificate with a Special Education endorsement or ability to obtain one.
- Have teaching experience working with elementary aged students in a special education or co-teaching/co-planning setting (preferred).
- Collaborative communication skills, which would facilitate working with children, parent and school staff in the development and maintenance of this program in a multicultural setting.
- Knowledge and skill in culturally responsive teaching and learning
- Skill in classroom management and the ability to achieve, support, and maintain acceptable student behavior.
- Demonstrated computer literacy
- Bilingual/biliterate (English/Spanish) skills preferred.
Employment will be contingent on signing of the Washington State Sexual Misconduct Disclosure Release as well as successful completion of the WSP and FBI fingerprint screening required under 28A.400 RCW, if applicable.
SALARY: Salary will be commensurate with education and experience placement on the District salary schedule, plus 2 days at per diem, 27.5 additional hours at per diem rate, a signing bonus, access to mentors and additional pay available for professional development opportunities. We offer an attractive benefit package.
CLOSING DATE: Thursday, June 23, 2022. In-house applicants are encouraged to submit a letter of interest to Julie in the District Office as soon as possible.
QUALIFIED CANDIDATES: Information and application are available on our website at https://www.highland.wednet.edu/Page/140 or: FastTrack (wa-k12.net) or by calling the District Office at (509) 678-8631.
The Highland School District does not discriminate in any programs or activities on the basis of sex, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, age, veteran or military status, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, disability, or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following employee has been designated to handle questions and complaints of alleged discrimination: Title IX Coordinator and Compliance Coordinator (RCW 28A.640/28A.642) officer: Brandon Jensen, Highland Sr High School Principal, 17000 Summitview, Cowiche WA 98923, telephone (509) 678-8800, e-mail- firstname.lastname@example.org. Section 504/ADA coordinator: Courtney Sund, Director of SEL & Inclusionary Practices, 17000 Summitview Rd, Cowiche, WA 98923, telephone (509) 678-8859, e-mail- email@example.com. Harassment, Intimidation, Bullying (HIB) Coordinator: Don Strother, Highland Jr High Principal, 17000 Summitview Rd, Cowiche, WA 98923, telephone (509) 678-8800, email- firstname.lastname@example.org. The Highland School District will also take steps to assure that national origin persons who lack English language skills can participate in all education programs, services and activities. For information regarding translation services or transitional bilingual education programs, contact Ana Garcia, Student Services Secretary.