K-8 Physical Education (PE)/Health Teacher
JOB TITLE: K-8 Physical Education (PE)/Health Teacher
OPEN: July 6, 2022 CLOSES: Until Filled
EXEMPT: No JOB CODE:
SALARY: Lummi Nation School Scale DOE DIVISION: Education
SHIFT: Day DEPARTMENT: Lummi Nation School
LOCATION: Lummi Nation School SUPERVISOR: K-12 Principal
DURATION: Regular FT 12 M Teacher Contract VACANCIES: 1
JOB SUMMARY: To create and implement an effective Physical Education and Health program that is
aligned with Common Core State standards. The teacher will be responsible for developing in each
student an inquiry based learning environment through exploration, data and reporting processes. Under
general supervision, teaches one or more classes in the field of social studies and creates a rigorous
program and environment favorable to learning and personal growth in accordance with each student’s
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following, and other related duties
1. Develop an overall educational plan for the students while integrating a physical education and health
based program; assuring curriculum is aligned with Common Core state standards and state
2. Write and implement lesson plans for each instructional period and/or project.
3. Secure supplies needed to carry out the program. Monitor the use of and maintains an inventory of
4. Adapt the program where needed to provide for the needs of each student.
5. Coordinate physical education and health projects with high school classroom/content teachers to
provide for an integrated program
6. Establish and maintain standards of student behavior consistent with the classroom rules which will
achieve a functional learning atmosphere.
7. Communicate with parents relative to the progress of their children and keep them updated on the
current art program.
8. Instruct students in citizenship and basic subject matter specified in state law and administrative
regulations and procedures of the school district.
9. Plan and demonstrate balanced instructional program involving demonstrations, lectures, discussions,
and student experiments; organizes laboratory/exploration activities and procedures for optimum
10. Provide individual and small group instruction in order to adapt curriculum to the needs of students
with varying abilities, and to accommodate a variety of instructional activities.
11. Maintain the high level of ethical and confidentiality regarding student information as is expected of
fully certified teachers.
12. Participate in any staff meetings, all school in-service training, and all-school activities
13. Provide instruction by which students develop health and physical education concepts and
appreciations of health and wellness
14. Provide individual and small-group instruction to adapt the curriculum to the needs of students with
varying intellectual abilities, and to accommodate a variety of instructional activities
15. Instruct students in proper care and use of tools and equipment
16. Organize storage areas and control use of materials, equipment, and tools to prevent loss or abuse, and
to minimize time required for distribution and collection
17. Evaluate each student’s performance and growth through data tracking in knowledge and artistic
understandings, and prepare progress reports
18. Plan and present academic based displays and exhibitions designed to exhibit students’ work for the
school and the community; may sponsor exhibits from outside the school
19. Maintain professional competence through in-service education activities provided by the school
and/or in self-selected professional growth activities
20. Communicate with parents and school counselors on students’ progress
Valid Washington State Teacher’s Certificate with an endorsement in Physical Education
Must possess a valid Washington State Driver’s license and meet eligibility requirements for tribal
Lummi/Native American/Veteran preference policy applies.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS:
Experience working within the Lummi Community with high-risk youth and families in supplying
community support services/referrals; preferred
Physical Activities: Routine physical activities that are required to fulfill job responsibilities.
Proficient Skills: Communication, instructional strategies that connect the curriculum to the
learners, student management.
Satisfactory recommendations from training supervisors or other professionals who have observed
the candidate’s personal characteristics, scholastic achievement and job-related performance.
Demonstrate cultural sensitivity in teaching and in relationships with students, parents, and
Ability to inform, involves, and collaborates with parents and families to build strong school
partnerships in the educational process.
Ability to establish and maintain open effective communication and good rapport with students,
parents, and school personnel.
Must pass pre-employment and random drug and alcohol test to be eligible for and maintain
employment, as required by the LIBC Drug & Alcohol Free Workplace Policy.
This position requires regular contact with or Control over Indian Children and is therefore subject to
an extensive Criminal Background Check and CAMIS Check with Washington State Patrol and
Federal Bureau of investigation Fingerprint Clearance.
Proof of U.S. Citizenship.
Obtain a CPR, First Aid and Mandatory Reporting certification and participate in annual CPR/First
Aid training Must provide verification of employment from other districts/schools.
Must be able to adhere to strict attendance expectations of the Lummi Nation School.
Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 including two (2) doses of a 2-dose series, or one (1) dose of a 1-
dose series, plus 14 days beyond the final dose prior to the start date
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
All elements of this job description apply
Salary depends on qualifications
Academic School Year (12 month teacher contract),
90 Day Orientation Period Applies