Director of Online Learning
Raritan Valley Community College
Director of Online Learning
Ranked by BestColleges.com and Niche.com as the #1 community college in New Jersey, Raritan Valley Community College has been serving as an academic and cultural center for Somerset and Hunterdon County residents for 50 years. The College has been nationally recognized for its service to the community, environmental stewardship, and commitment to diversity. It is home to a Planetarium, Science Education Institute and 3M Observatory, a 1,000-seat Theatre, an Honors College for high achieving students and much more.
The College offers more than 90 associate degrees and certificates, as well as career training, small business assistance through the Small Business Development Center, professional development, and adult and youth personal enrichment courses. RVCC is located at 118 Lamington Road in Branchburg, NJ. For further information, visit www.raritanval.edu.
Raritan Valley Community College has an anticipated opening for a Director of Online Learning in the Academic Affairs Department.
The Director provides vision and leadership for online, remote, and distance learning at the College and models and implements practices that support diversity, equity, and inclusion. The position oversees the management, quality assurance, and outcomes for online courses and programs and leads the Committee for Online and Distance Education (CODE) team which recommends policy and practice for pedagogy, training, technology, assessment, and student support related to online learning. The Director serves as the primary administrator responsible for ensuring that online courses and programs meet quality assurance metrics, accreditation standards, and regulatory compliance requirements. The position reports to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs and collaborates extensively with RVCC Tech Services, Instructional Design, Academic Affairs, Workforce Education, and Student Affairs to ensure that the College provides online learning programming and services that meet the needs of students and the greater community.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Lead the development, implementation, and assessment of the online and distance learning program at RVCC, with an emphasis on quality, innovation, and excellence in online and hybrid teaching, and ensure its alignment with the mission, values, and strategic plan of the College.
Serve as a subject matter expert in the best practices in the design, development, and delivery of large-scale online and distance educational programming, teaching, and learning and develop short and long-range plans and conceptual designs for online course delivery.
Oversee online policies, procedures, scheduling, enrollment, assessment, and practices in collaboration with Academic Affairs leadership, faculty, and other internal stakeholders.
Ensure online courses and programming meet standards set by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education and NC-SARA, and comply with state, federal, and international regulations (e.g., Credit Hour Verification, FERPA, ADA, EU) and RVCC policy, procedure, and employee contracts.
Collaborate with Academic Affairs Leadership, Instructional Design, Center for Teaching, Learning, and Scholarship (CTLS) and other internal stakeholders to manage the training and mentoring of faculty teaching online, resolve online student complaints, and ensure that faculty and student online support functions are aligned to promote student success.
Provide faculty training and professional development that supports best practices in instructional design, development, and delivery, and promotes instructional innovation in the use of learning technologies that enhance teaching and learning in online, remote, hybrid, and web-enhanced instruction.
Collaborate with RVCC Tech Services and internal stakeholders to ensure the effective delivery of online learning through the LMS, and the proper management and currency of the LMS, related software, and equipment.
Implement quality assurance protocols for online course design and online instructor performance via the recommendation and administration of a standardized rubric such as Quality Matters or similar.
Highlight successes and recommend improvements by collecting, analyzing, and reporting data related to online student learning, enrollment, course evaluations, faculty training and professional development, and other variables as they pertain to outcomes assessment, scheduling, enrollment management, accreditation, and strategic planning.
Serve on the state-wide affinity group and collaborate with other colleges and agencies to develop and maintain agreements that support and enhance RVCC online courses, programs, and student access.
Recommend an enhanced structure for online and distance education management that supports a growing enrollment in these programs and courses along with budget projections and strategic expansion into new markets (adult, international, K-12, etc.).
Collaborate with faculty and with Student Affairs to design and implement student training (onboarding) for online students.
Provide administrative oversight of the winter term and any fully-remote programs as they are developed.
- Master's Degree or higher in Instructional Design and/or Technology, Online/Distance Learning, Instructional Systems, or related field.
- At least three (3) years' experience teaching online, remote, or distance education courses at the college level.
- At least two (2) years' experience administering online/distance education courses and programs in a higher education setting
- Demonstrated understanding of current practices and issues related to the development, maintenance, quality assurance, and expansion of postsecondary online education programs and use of instructional technologies.
- Experience working with internal and external stakeholders in the delivery of online education.
- Experience with accreditation and regulatory requirements associated with online learning (including MSCHE, NC-SARA, ADA Compliance, and EU).
- Experience and training in applying standardized rubrics (such as Quality Matters or similar) to online courses and program development.
- Technological proficiency with web applications, MS Office, Learning Management System (e.g., Canvas), and analytics
- Experience using Student Information Systems (e.g., Banner).
- Experience collaborating with multiple and diverse stakeholders to solve complex problems effectively.
- Effective verbal/written communication, presentation, and customer service skills.
- Experience analyzing data to improve online enrollment, student outcomes, and the design and delivery of online instruction and programming.
- Familiarity with Universal Design for Learning and its applications within and beyond support for specific student populations.
- Knowledge of the adult online learner market.
- Experience with marketing and recruitment of adult online learners.
- Experience developing and monitoring operating budgets and grants.
- Experience with marketing of online degrees.
- Requires sitting, standing, bending, walking, and climbing.
- Lift and carry items weighing up to 20 pounds for a distance of up to 50 feet.
- Requires handling equipment weighing up to 20 pounds while pushing, pulling, lifting, twisting, and reaching while lifting
As a New Jersey First Act Employer, new employees must establish a primary residence in New Jersey within one year unless an exemption applies.
RVCC's starting salary is commensurate with educational qualifications and experience. We also offer an attractive benefits package.
For consideration of the above position, please submit your cover letter and resume online:
We regret that we are unable to respond to each and every resume received. Only those candidates of interest will be contacted directly.
Raritan Valley Community College is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Plan Employer. We will implement the policy to assure that the employment opportunities offered at the institution are available to all persons.