Job Code: 29-1031 Status: Full-time, Permanent
Exempt: Yes Location: Health Services
Department: Health Promotion/Planning Reports To: HP/P Program Manager
SUMMARY: Provides medical nutrition therapy for individuals through small and large group teaching, workshops, community-based campaigns and other special events as part of the Medical Clinic goals in diabetes and heart health care.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Develop, implement and evaluate community-based health promotion activities with a key emphasis on nutritional health
- Applies sound behavioral health strategies in healthy lifestyle counseling
- Develop core meal plans for general patients, for special requests or for critical needs
- Acting in the role of counselor and thus sustaining patient morale
- Actively works in the community implementing wellness activities
- Coordinates employee wellness activities
- Coordinates and conducts diabetes self-management and prevention education, with a focus on Medical Nutrition Therapy for individuals and groups
- Creates nutrition-based media messages for various stages of the lifespan
- Works with the diabetes nurse educator/case manager to implement and support diabetes case management and patient care, reflecting standards and guidelines of IHS, ADA, AADE, American Dietetic Association, etc.
- Collaborates with Diabetes Care Team members to plan strategies for patients seeking lifestyle modifications, e.g., weight loss/management, physical activity, stress reduction, relaxation techniques, smoking cessation, etc.
- Documents appropriate participant care as established by the program requirement sand within the Saint Regis Mohawk Health Services delivery system
- Works with all Department of Health Services to provide nutrition education for referrals from providers.
- Works with Tribal programs to deliver health education to employees, clients and/or families
- Conduct research to stay up to date with knowledge and skills
- Willing to attend various trainings/conferences and obtain Certified Diabetes Educator credential within two years
- Main office will be out of Health Services facility and two days at Diabetes Center for Excellence
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: There are no supervisory duties
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to clearly demonstrate strengths in leadership, decision-making and effective problem-solving skills and sound application of behavioral health strategies.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Bachelor’s degree in Nutrition from an accredited college and credentialed by the Commission on Dietetic Registration of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and Possess a New York State license as a Registered Dietitian or willing to obtain within six months.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES: Strong oral and written communication skills required. Must have excellent computer skills including word, excel, and experience documenting in an electronic health record system is preferred.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to offer effective problem-solving strategies for patients and staff. Possess a sound approach to conflict resolution and building team relationships.
Must be at least 21 years of age, have and maintain a valid driver’s license with a clean drivers abstract in accordance with the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe’s Fleet Policy.
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job related factor.
The successful candidate must pass a test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.
The successful candidate must pass a criminal background check prior to employment.
Applicants must submit letter of interest, resume, supporting documents (certificates, degrees, licenses) and proof of native preference eligibility (Tribal Identification Card or Status Card or letter) by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to Human Resources, Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe, 71 Margaret Terrance Memorial Way, Akwesasne, NY 13655. Due to our network security, we are unable to open hyperlinks. Applicants will need to attach their documents as PDF or WORD files if emailing. Applicants must clearly outline that they meet the qualification requirements on their resume.
NATIVE PREFERENCE POLICY
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job related factor. Among qualified applicants, the SRMT will give preference to the qualified native applicant.
DRUG TESTING POLICY
The successful applicant for employment must submit to and pass a drug test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.
Some positions require candidate(s) to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment, used solely for employment related purposes.
A list of qualified candidates is created from interviews that may be used to appoint individuals to similar positions within the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe for a period of six months.
Testing in the applicable skills may be required as part of the interview process.
EMPLOYEE COVID VACCINATION POLICY
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe has adopted a “Tribal Employee Vaccination Policy” that requires all employees to be “Fully Vaccinated” against the Coronavirus. Applicants are not required to disclose their vaccination status at the time of application; however, they must do so upon becoming the successful candidate. The successful applicant must submit their proof of vaccination status, apply for a Medical Exemption or begin the vaccination process. If the successful applicant is not vaccinated, they will be required to receive their first vaccine dose prior to starting employment and must receive their second dose, if applicable, within 30 days of employment.