Director of Secondary Education, Curriculum, and Instruction
Description: The Director of Secondary Instruction plays a crucial role in the educational leadership of the middle and high school programs, while overseeing the instructional programs and curriculum development for middle and high school levels. Working collaboratively with building prinicpals and directors, will be responsible for the direction and oversight of all aspects 6-12 education as related to curriculum and content.
Minimum Qualifications: Current NYS School District Leadership Certification or equivalent. and significant experience as a secondary school teacher or administrator, demonstrating a strong understanding of instructional best practices, curriculum development, and educational leadership. Minimum 3 years of experience in school administration. A master's degree or higher in education, educational leadership, curriculum and instruction, or a related field.
1. Knowledge and experience developing curriculum, unit, and lesson planning.
2. Proven leadership abilities with a track record of effectively managing and inspiring educational teams to achieve academic excellence and professional growth.
3. Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to engage and collaborate with diverse stakeholders, including educators, parents, students, and community members.
4. Strong data analysis and problem-solving skills to interpret educational data, identify areas for improvement, and develop evidence-based strategies for enhancing student learning outcomes.
5. Ability to adapt to changing educational trends, policies, and technologies, and to lead the implementation of new initiatives effectively.
6. Candidate must be flexible, creative, and highly energized.
1. Develop and implement comprehensive, standards-based curriculum and instructional programs for middle and high school students that align with district goals and state/federal educational standards that lead to student engagement and achievement.
Ensure that the approved curricula are fully operational and actively used by all staff.
2. Conduct needs assessments to determine short and long-term projects, insights on curriculum schedule, infrastructure, evaluation, communication, policies, professional development, and other areas.
3. Provide strategic leadership and support to secondary school administrators, teachers, and staff to ensure effective instructional practices, student engagement, and academic achievement.
4. Collaborate with other educational leaders, district personnel, and community stakeholders to foster a supportive and cohesive learning environment that meets the needs of diverse student populations.
5. Assist in the development and delivery of new teacher orientation and mentoring of new 6-12 teachers in collaboration with the district mentor coordinator.
6. Plan and facilitate professional development opportunities for secondary school educators to enhance their teaching methodologies, content knowledge, and classroom management skills. Develop and oversee professional development programs for secondary school teachers to enhance their instructional skills and promote continuous professional growth.
7. Manage resources effectively, including budgets, materials, and technology, to support the delivery of high-quality secondary education and ensure equitable access to educational resources.
8. Work collaboratively with pupil personnel services to improve achievement and opportunities for students with disabilities at the secondary level.
9. Work with department instructional leads in middle school and high school to ensure a well-articulated curriculum and sound pedagogical practices.
10. Plan, coordinate, and conduct appropriate meetings for area of responsibility. Attend appropriate district-wide meetings
11. Utilize student performance data to identify trends, strengths, and areas for improvement, and use this information to develop targeted interventions and enrichment programs. Lead data analysis/disaggregation efforts to align with effective teaching practices.
12. Oversee the design and implementation of assessment strategies to monitor student progress, evaluate teaching effectiveness, and inform instructional decision-making and curriculum enhancements.
13. Stay updated with local, state, and federal education policies and regulations, ensuring compliance and alignment of secondary instructional programs with relevant educational standards and guidelines.
14. Present at board of education meetings as necessary
15. Evaluate teachers as an independent evaluator.
16. Perform any other related duties are required or assigned
Primary Location Central Office
Salary Range $118,000.00 - $140,000.00 / Per Year based on experience
Shift Type Full-Time – 12 months